Saturday, May 4, 2013

Review: Prince of Wolves by Quinn Loftis

Jaque Pierce was just an ordinary 17 year old girl getting ready to start her senior year in high school in Coldspring, Texas. When a mysterious foreign exchange student from Romania moves in across the street, Jacque and her two best friends, Sally and Jen, don't realize the last two weeks of their summer was going to get a lot more interesting. From the moment Jacque sets eyes on Fane she feels an instant connection, a pull like a moth to a flame. Little does she know that the flame she is drawn to is actually a Canis lupis, werewolf, and she just happens to be his mate; the other half of his soul. The problem is Fane is not the only wolf in Coldspring, Texas. Just as Fane and Jacque are getting to know each other, another wolf steps out to try and claim Jacque as his mate. Fane will now have to fight for the right to complete the mating bond, something that is his right by birth but is being denied him by a crazed Alpha. Will the love Fane has for Jacque be enough to give him the strength to defeat his enemy, will Jacque accept that she is Fane's mate and complete the bond between them?

Title: Prince of Wolves
Series: The Grey Wolves #1
Published June 29th 2011
ASIN: B005983WCQ (ISBN-13: 9781463685683)
Barnes & Noble|Amazon

Some books I read are hard to put down, and make me wish the series would never end, others take me forever to read for differing reasons. Now, I wouldn't say this book is awful and that I'll never read it again, because in all honesty I probably will before I read the second book (which won't be any time soon, my to-read list is way too long for that) but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy the paperback version or to continue reading the series.

The thing I disliked most about the book, (and I feel terrible for saying this) was the writing. The description made this book seem like it would've been a cute romance story, and I was (obviously) very disappointed. The characters were fine, but the writing. I felt like the book, especially the dialogue, was too forced, and didn't flow. Also, in some parts she stated a characters name on one page far too many times, though that was only minor. Part of me thinks that with a good editor this book could be rewritten into something I would agree was a pretty good book, even with though they fall in love after 5 days and the plot was way too predicable, I actually believe there weren't even plot twists whosoever.
"What the hell was that? Do you make it a habit to jump out of two story structures? Were you thinking, 'hey the front door is such a typical way to leave a place why not mix it up a bit and fall out of the window instead'?"
The writing did have its high points too, it could be really funny. I'm having trouble writing about the characters because I feel like I don't really know them. They seemed to be vague. All I know about Jacque is that she throws fits that even she agrees resembles a two year old, she's from Texas, is Fane's mate, only half wolf, and shares a lot more than necessary at times.

Stemming from that, I had two problems with people sharing too much information in this book. One being, why is it that you hear a voice in your head and you decide to tell your best friends? But that isn't even the worst part, they act like its an everyday occurrence and accept the fact that she hear voices right away. If C.J. told me she was hearing voices if probably ask if she was either joking, on something, or sleep deprived. The other moment of excessive sharing was when Fane and Jacque decide to tell the Henry's (the family Fane is staying with) all about their who situation, why? Because Fane wants to stay over Jacques for a few nights to protect her. I don't know how werewolves are even a secret if its normal to go telling your neighbors.

C.J. even agrees with my review (only she's meaner than me, she only gave it two stars. Shh! Don't tell her I said that), so I hope I'm not being too hard on it, but I guess I can't review to easier just because it's a free ebook, that isn't very fair.
Also, feel free to comment on any of our reviews, or email us (booknerdandproud@gmail.com). We hope to be adding a few more types of posts soon!

“No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.” -Confucius
Book Nerd and Proud,
K.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment