Thursday, December 20, 2012

Review: The Maze Runner by James Dashner


When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.
Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. 

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.

Title: The Maze Runner 
Series: Maze Runner #1
Published: October 6th 2009 by Delacorte Books
ISBN: 0385737947 (ISBN13: 9780385737944)
Barnes&Noble|Amazon

I was excited for this book, and I honestly did like it, but let me explain the parts I didn't like, and why I only give it four stars. Thomas, to me, got whiny and annoying at times (though I must admit, at times I loved his character when he wasn't) Most of the books I read are with female narratives, but I've also read quite a few with male, and haven't had a problem. Other than when they fawn over girls that are "beautiful", and that's the only reason they're attracted to them.
Teresa had virtually zero time in the book, if she had more time I honestly do believe that I would've liked her character more. Minho and Newt also were really appealing (especially Minho, he is amazing), yet the writer missed the chance to make them truly amazing. While all of these characters did play important roles in the book, I would hesitate to call them "main characters" just because they seem more like important secondary characters. The book isn't character-driven, which can be easier to read with interesting characters even if the plot lacks a little. The plot did keep me reading, I wanted to know how the maze was solved and what part Teresa would play once she finally wakes up. Yet, I find the ending really fast while other parts could be really slow and hard to get through. I was finally able to start to relate with Thomas, and understand him, when the plot got really fast. On a good note, I do understand you can't really relate to a character that doesn't know anything about himself, so in that sense I felt like you got to see him grow. The story leaves off at a good spot, where I think connecting with Thomas in the second book won't be difficult at all. Not only that, but I still do think the series will be great, and part of me is amazed it hasn't gotten more attention. I understand why some people hate it (and hey, there has never been a book where every person who has read it, loved it) and why other people love it, and I respect both options.
Overall, I think the series will get better in the next two books, but the first was still enjoyable. I do plan on reading the rest of the books in the series, and those will be the next two books I review because it just so happens that when I went to the library today, they had both of the books!

Have a wonderful holiday!
Book Nerd and Proud,
K.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment