Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review: Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Can true love be forgotten?

As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.


Title: Dreamless

Series: Starcrossed #2
Published: May 29th 2012 by HarperTeen
ISBN: 0062012010 (ISBN13: 9780062012012)
Barnes&Noble|Amazon

I'll admit, this book wasn't quite as good as the first one, but I couldn't bring myself to rate this book lower than five stars! For a group of people who are apparently geniuses, these Scions really don't know their basic math. If Helen is seventeen years old, and Ajax died nineteen years ago, how can he be her father? For me, this book was a slow start and hard to get into, and it really only got interesting towards the end of the novel. I didn't exactly love the way Angelini threw in a love triangle in the midst of all this. Orion was a great character who had it all, but I didn't think this series needed another guy who Helen can't be with to go after her....and it made me sort of uncomfortable reading how Lucas and Helen couldn't stay away from each other even though they thought they were first cousins...ew.  But since that whole drama about blood debts owed to Houses is over with and the war with the gods has started, who knows what will happen.

Her mother seems a bit dodgy to me, why would she lie to her daughter that Lucas is her cousin? I think she has her own agenda in store for us in the next book. I absolutely loved Hector! In the last book, he was sort of a jerk but now he's probably one of the sweetest guys to read about. He definitely has that whole protective older brother role towards Helen, and gives amazing hugs. However, Claire wasn't as good of a friend or as supportive as she used to be, and that was disappointing.

Overall, Dreamless keeps up a strong plot and was an interesting and worthwhile read. I believe the next book, Goddess, has come out recently, so I hope to read and review that one soon!

"I like big books and I cannot lie." LOL, I found the quote on Pinterest...had to share that one.
Book Nerd and Proud,
C.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment